The cost of storing a caravan can vary depending on several factors such as location, duration of storage, and the facilities provided by the storage company. Here are some factors that can influence the cost of caravan storage.
Storage costs will vary based on the region or city where the storage facility is located. It's no surprise that London has the highest storage fees, as facilities in urban or densely populated areas tends to be more expensive compared to rural locations.
Some storage facilities offer monthly rates, while others may provide discounted rates for longer-term storage contracts. Some caravan owners prefer a monthly plan to allow them to store their caravan over the winter season.
Indoor or outdoor storage
Indoor storage facilities typically provide more protection from the elements and may have higher costs compared to outdoor storage options, which are usually more affordable.
Security and amenities
Facilities that offer additional security features such as surveillance cameras, gated access, and on-site staff may have higher costs. Similarly, if the storage facility provides amenities like electricity hook-ups or access to water, the price may be higher.
Size of your caravan
The larger a caravan or motorhome, the more space it will require and thus incur higher storage fees.
"It is best to research storage facilities in your area and contact them directly to get accurate pricing information based on your specific needs and requirements."
Jo Mitchell, Head of Marketing at Swift
As a rough guide, the yearly cost can be around £1,200 for caravan storage in London, £600 in Birmingham, £350 in the North of England, and £600 in Edinburgh.
Due to the various factors involved, it is challenging to provide an exact cost without specific details. It is best to research storage facilities in your area and contact them directly to get accurate pricing information based on your specific needs and requirements.
Check with your local Swift dealer as some offer storage solutions or can recommend a local storage facility near you.
Preparing your caravan for storage
Before storage, take some time to prepare your caravan to help ensure it remains in good condition whilst in storage.
- Thoroughly clean both the interior and exterior. Ensure that the caravan is dry to prevent mould or mildew growth
- Remove all perishable items and clean out the refrigerator
- Empty & clean the water and waste tanks
- If applicable, disconnect and drain the water supply system, gas cylinders, and batteries
It's also a good idea to have your caravan serviced to address any maintenance issues.
- Checking and servicing the brakes
- Check all your tyres are in good condition
- You can find your nearest Swift service centre by entering your location or postcode
If the storage facility doesn't provide sufficient security measures, consider enhancing security yourself.
Even if your caravan is stored indoors, it's essential to protect it from the elements.
- Cover your caravan with a breathable and waterproof cover to prevent dust, moisture, and sunlight damage
- Consider using levelling blocks to prevent tyre damage
- Cover the tyres to protect them from UV rays
Following these tips will ensure your caravan will be ready for your next adventure.